Now that we've established a baseline performance level for the hardware components and software that make up a Windows 7 PC and introduced the major diagnostic tools, it's time to look more closely at techniques and settings that can improve performance. In this section, we cover the following basic performance-enhancing strategies:
• Ensuring that you have adequate RAM
• Ensuring that you have an adequate virtual-memory configuration
• Tuning and troubleshooting SuperFetch
• Using ReadyBoost to compensate for a slow hard disk
• Managing startup programs and services
• Keeping your disks defragmented
• Maintaining adequate free space on your disks
• Avoiding tweaks of dubious value
Was this article helpful?
Read how to maintain and repair any desktop and laptop computer. This Ebook has articles with photos and videos that show detailed step by step pc repair and maintenance procedures. There are many links to online videos that explain how you can build, maintain, speed up, clean, and repair your computer yourself. Put the money that you were going to pay the PC Tech in your own pocket.